Shaker Village – Office Shop
Traditionally called the Office Shop, and more recently referred to as the Carpenter’s Shop, this building was built in 1878 and adapted for a residence in the 1930s.
Originally the rear section had carriage bays with large arched doors and a dirt floor to accommodate wagons. The arched doors still remain on the southeast side of the building. The interior comprises a 20’x20′ room on the street side of the first floor and the front room, which had a fireplace and wide pine floors. The rear half had a dirt floor, interior privy, and storage for wagons and wood. Upstairs were two rooms with wooden tongue-and-groove walls and wide pine floors.
Post-Shaker alterations include the casement windows on the south side of the building (1942), the board-and-batten garage on the northeast corner (1940s), casement windows on the north side of the building (1962), a small storm porch over the northern entryway (1965), and a picture window on the south side that replaced a door and two windows (mirroring the north side of the building–1962). The barn behind the house is also a non-Shaker addition (1965).
There is a conservation restriction on the 7-acre property that prevents changes to the style or footprint of the house and the building of any new structures on the land.


























